Re: dpkg -l does not report all packages?

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 12:23:19AM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
>   dpkg and grep-available only report kernel-source packages up to 2.4.5
> (which is what I have installed), even though I just did apt-get update:

'apt-get update' doesn't update dpkg's available file. Use 'dselect
update' instead, which does 'apt-get update' and then merges it with
dpkg's records.

Also, 'dpkg -l' looks in dpkg's status file, which doesn't necessarily
record all uninstalled packages unless you use dselect on a regular
basis. It'll record installed packages reliably, though.

Cheers,