Re: What can the following mean (I tried to rpm -ivh _____.rpm)

shyamk  <shyamk@eth.net> writes:
shyamk> I tried to install gcc -2.96-54 with rpm 4.0 (no problems from
shyamk> rpm) . But the following things are demanded ...  Could
shyamk> somebody please tell me what this means and what I should do ?

Why are you using gcc-2.96 (the special Red Hat "let's pull something
from the CVS tree and call it a release" version)?  Why are you
installing it as an RPM?  Why are you trying to use RPM directly?

You probably for most purposes want either potato's gcc, which works
just fine, or gcc-2.95 out of woody or sid if that's what you're
using.  These are all available as Debian packages.  If you really
must use an RPM package, convert it to a Debian package first using
alien.  Trying to use two separate packaging systems at the same time
means certain madness.

(Unless you're actually on a Red Hat machine.  But then you wouldn't
have asked on debian-user, right?  :-)

	-- Abra Mitchell