Re: LS-120 grub boot with 1.44MB but not 120MB floppy: "Geom Error"

Yo.

I've got one of these fun little things too. One of these days I'll get
grub up and running, maybe, but at present I'm sticking with lilo. I've
got a LS-120 boot disk to run lilo, but it needed some extra parameter.
I had to add the following to lilo.conf:

    disk=/dev/hdb
        bios=0x00

I don't use grub much yet, so I don't know if there's a corresponding
option for it, so here's the relevant section from man lilo.conf so
you have an idea what to look for:

    disk=<device-name>
        Defines  non-standard  parameters  for  the specified disk.  See
        section "Disk geometry" of user.tex for details.  Especially
        useful is the `bios=' parameter.  The BIOS numbers your disks
        0x80, 0x81, etc.  and it  is  impossible  to decide which Linux
        disk corresponds to which BIOS disk (since this depends on the
        BIOS setup, and on the type of BIOS), so if you have an unusual
        setup you need to state  the  correspondence between Linux disks
        and BIOS disks.  For example,

            disk=/dev/sda
                bios=0x80
            disk=/dev/hda
                bios=0x81

        would  say  that your SCSI disk is the first BIOS disk, and your
        (primary master) IDE disk is the second BIOS disk.

I'm guessing the bios=0x00 tells lilo to use whatever disk the BIOS
thinks is the floppy drive. But if that's what setting (fd0) was
supposed to do you might be stuck. Hope you're just missing something.

HTH,
Mike McGuire