Re: floppy install

On Thursday Sep 20 04:40 Tom Allison wrote:

> ** But... Here's the "newbie" question that I can't seem to find.
> ** When doing an install.  How exactly do I tell fdisk that I have a really
> ** big drive?
> ** I am trying
> ** boot: linux hda=2484:16:63 hdb=1654:16:63
> ** and that didn't work.
> ** I went into fsck and set the track/head/sector values manually.
> **
> ** How do I keep this setting in place?

I never had to do somthing like this. But i have some knowledge that
could give you some new ideas about what to do. If you install the
base system of Debian, you will get LILO, the Linux bootloader, to
your hard disk. This bootloader is able to give some parameters to
kernel. Read man lilo and man lilo.conf for more information. An
entry in /etc/lilo.conf to give hard disk parameters to kernel lookes
like this:

append = "hda=2484,16,63 hdb=1654,16,63"

> ** I am already assuming that I have to create a /boot sector that is <1024
> ** cylinders - yes?

Yes. The Linux way to do this, is to have a /boot partition. An 8 MB
partition is enough for this.

Timo

--
Nothing is impossible!