Re: nimda probes

on Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 04:55:23PM +1000, Sam Varghese (sam@gnubies.com) wrote:
> Nicholas Petreley had this suggestion for redirecting
> nimda probes using Apache:
>
> RedirectMatch ^.*\.(exe|dll).* http://support.microsoft.com
>
> Of course, one can choose to redirect the request anywhere.

Likely not, adequately addressed here.

My problem is that the attempts are now DOSing me for /var space due to
logging overhead.  This on a dialup system with a 580 MB /var.

Aside from /var/log, I've also got sizeable /var/lib and /var/cache
directories:

    $ cd /var; du -sx * | sort -nr | head
    95644   lib
    78780   cache
    17416   log
    3780    backups
    2816    account
    888     www
    880     spool

Looking at /var/lib, I find that the ./dpkg/info directory is huge:

    47696   dpkg
    13208   apt
    9752    texmf
    3252    doc-base
    3128    dhelp
    2752    scrollkeeper

In /var/lib/dpkg:

    32504   info
    4564    available-old
    4564    available
    2816    methods

...is it possible to clear out the 'info' directory?  This contains the
list, md5sums, postinst, postrm, preinst, prerm, and shlibs files for
packages.  I get the feeling these may be useful ;-).

Cheers.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org