dmi and Mobo monitoring

I am running potato on a new dual AMD box with Tyan's K7 mobo.  I need to
monitor the temperature inside my box and send notifications (snmp trap or
email or something) when it reaches a certain level.  This is regular
DMI/LDCM stuff under windoze and I am having great difficulty finding
something on this for linux.  Can anyone out there give me some pointers??
Does there need to be support for chipset in the kernel for this to work?
Thanks,

vec