Re: view package contents w/o installing

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 03:17:13PM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:
| dvanbalen  <DvB> writes:
| DvB> Is there any way to see what files are in a package without having to
| DvB> install it first?
|
| If you already have the .deb file, you can run 'dpkg --contents
| file.deb'.  But probably downloading is the harder part in the general
| case; I don't know of a good way to see what files are in a package
| without downloading it.
|
| (It'd be nice if packages.debian.org offered more functionality, like
| being able to read the files in /usr/share/doc/<package> directly off
| the Web site or listing the file contents.)

I too would like to see a list of files on p.d.o similar to what
rpmfind offers.

The other main complaint I have with p.d.o is it doesn't help one to
find the upstream website which usually has more documentation than
the package summary.  If any package maintainers see this, please
include a URL to the upstream site for your package in the summary.

-D