Re: offtopic: which text language to use?

also sprach Julio Merino (on Wed, 19 Sep 2001 07:52:00PM +0200):
> Well, I've to write a large, large document. I've think to use LaTeX, but
> I don't think it will be a good choice, because it's html output is
> really poor (am I wrong?).

yes. wrong. actually, it depends. for scientific texts and texts
where, you know, contents is the most important (as opposed to m$ word
docs), latex is perfect. have a look at
http://www.madduck.net/~madduck/thesis/ for my thesis (slightly
outdated), and http://www.madduck.net/~madduck/thesis.pdf for the
latex output that corresponds.

if you need to look fake-fancy as in word, then latex doesn't cut the
mustard. but then again i'd argue that no document can ever be
formatted well enough to look remotely close to latex - even with
html...

it's contents that counts...

> I'm looking for some language that allows me to convert it to LaTeX and
> html, and to customize as much as possible the conversion (output).
> Is SGML a good choice?

SGML or XML i guess, but have a ball writing it :)

why not take HTML straight?

"nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit."
                                                             -- seneca
%
when compared to windoze, unix is an operating system.