Re: offtopic: which text language to use?

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 07:17:27PM -0700, David Roundy wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 12:54:07AM +0200, A.R. (Tom) Peters wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Julio Merino wrote:
> >
> > DocBook SGML...
>
> I don't know anything about docbook (which quite likely is very good), but
> latex isn't bad either (and being a physicist I pretty much have to know it
> anyways).  I've looked briefly at some docbook source, and it looked (to my
> untrained eye) uglier than latex source, and harder to input.  But that's
> probably just because I am unfamiliar with it.
>
> latex2html gives reasonably good (but a tad ugly) output.  If all you want
> is perfectly functional output, it should be fine.  You can see an example
> at http://civet.berkeley.edu/paratec/ (just the manual to a code that you
> don't have access to...).
>
> Probably if you don't want to typeset any math, though, you're better off
> using docbook... but I can't vouch for that.

Well, thanks to all who answered, but I want to point some things.

First, I think I'll go and learn SGML Docbook. I'm very familiar with HTML,
tought. I don't think it will be very difficult.

As you say, latex2html provides a good output, but ugly... What I want is
to be able to customize that output as much as I want, to make a more
beautiful HTML document. Also, I want my LaTeX output to be customizable
too, so I can setup headers and the like.

What I mainly need to write is a long school "work/report". Apart from
containing lots of text, I want to include images in a flexible way,
and to be able to define chapters, sections and the like. This is what
I need.

I hope Docbook will be enough, isn't it?

Thanks.