Re: offtopic: which text language to use?

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 12:54:07AM +0200, A.R. (Tom) Peters wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Julio Merino wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > SOORY, this is completly offtopic...
> >
> > Well, I've to write a large, large document. I've think to use LaTeX, but
> > I don't think it will be a good choice, because it's html output is
> > really poor (am I wrong?).
> >
> > I'm looking for some language that allows me to convert it to LaTeX and
> > html, and to customize as much as possible the conversion (output).
> > Is SGML a good choice?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> DocBook SGML...

I don't know anything about docbook (which quite likely is very good), but
latex isn't bad either (and being a physicist I pretty much have to know it
anyways).  I've looked briefly at some docbook source, and it looked (to my
untrained eye) uglier than latex source, and harder to input.  But that's
probably just because I am unfamiliar with it.

latex2html gives reasonably good (but a tad ugly) output.  If all you want
is perfectly functional output, it should be fine.  You can see an example
at http://civet.berkeley.edu/paratec/ (just the manual to a code that you
don't have access to...).

Probably if you don't want to typeset any math, though, you're better off
using docbook... but I can't vouch for that.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/