Re: mutt and SSL/imap on testing

* Vineet Kumar (debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net) [010916 14:27]:
> * Daniel de los Reyes (dadecal@s2-selling.com) [010916 07:23]:
> > When I try to open an imap mailbox using ssl mutt complains about SSL
> > not being available. Is it not compiled in in testing?
> > Any clue about what I could be doing wrong
> > I open the mailbox using imaps://server.com/INBOX
> > If I use imap://server.com I can see a list of folders but nothing
> > appears inside
>
> In another reply, Erik has said that it's not compiled in. I guess it's
> probably an issue of maintaining a separate package on non-US servers.
> If you wanted to avoid compiling it in yourself, you could use stunnel
> to provide yourself an ssl tunnel to access your imaps server. I have
> stunnel running to provide myself a tunnel on localhost:110 to my mail
> server's pop3s port. To do the same for imap, the stunnel command you'd
> want to use is:
>
> stunnel -c -d localhost:imap -r your.mailserver.com:imaps
>
> and then tell mutt to connect to your mailserver at imap://localhost/ .
> You get the added benefit of being able to use any pop3 or imap client
> without ssl support, and it's a very clean and secure setup.
> The connections are only opened when a connection is made to the
> localhost port; not like an ssh tunnel that requires an open connection.
>
> If you're interested in the initscript I created to set up this tunnel
> at boot, email me privately and I'll send you a copy. In that file,
> there are variable definitions LOCAL and REMOTE right at the top which
> you can customize to easily adapt it to your situation.

In a reply to my own email sparked by off-list requests, I'll post that
initscript here for those who might google for it later:

#!/bin/sh
#
# /etc/init.d/stunnel - manage a tunnel to pop mail over ssl
#
# Vineet Kumar 31 Aug 2001

# known limitations: it only manages one tunnel

test -x /usr/sbin/stunnel || exit 0

# Configurable options:
LOCAL=localhost:pop3
REMOTE=mail.my-isp.com:pop3s
# you could instead use the following, if you use imap
#LOCAL=localhost:imap
#REMOTE=mail.my-isp.com:imaps

PIDFILE=/var/run/stunnel.pid

case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting ssl tunnel: stunnel"
	start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile ${PIDFILE} \
	--exec /usr/sbin/stunnel -- -c -d ${LOCAL} -r ${REMOTE} -P ${PIDFILE}
        echo "."
	;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Stopping ssl tunnel: stunnel"
	start-stop-daemon --stop --oknodo --pidfile ${PIDFILE} \
	--exec /usr/sbin/stunnel
        echo "."
	;;

  force-reload|restart)
	$0 stop
	$0 start
	;;

  *)
	echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|force-reload|restart}"
	exit 1
esac

exit 0
#EOF

then I used 'update-rc.d stunnel defaults' so that it comes up at boot.

HTH,

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.