Re: Minicom only works suid root -SOLVED

On 19 Sep 2001, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> On Wed, 2001-09-19 at 08:35, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> > > The next logical step would be to check the device files for proper
> > > group ownership:
> > >
> > >     $ ls -l /dev/ttyS0
> > >     crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Jul  5  2000 /dev/ttyS0
> > >
> > > --
> > > groetjes, carel
> >
> > Sorry for a follow-up to my own message: after changing the permissions
> > and making *two* reboots minicom has now started working correctly. No
> > idea what happened here, but thanks anyway.
>
> Sorry about knee jerking a response without fully reading your post
> before.  What does dmesg say about the serial ports now as opposed to
> before?  Perhaps your syslog can tell you something about what changed.
>
> --mike

No obvious clues there. In fact, things were stranger than I indicated
previously. After changing the permissions in /dev/ttyS0 I was unable to
log on at all as user; I kept getting messages about
/etc/ppp/peers/myprovider not existing! (Though I could still log on a
root). After two reboots (not one) everything started working again
including minicom. I have no idea how all this happened, nor do I
understand why /dev/ttyS0 had originally got incorrect permissions while
/dev/ttyS1, etc, were correct.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Debian GNU/Linux (Windows-free zone).
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

... I do not know which is more striking - the clumsy inadequacy of words, or
their world-shaking power. So long as men remain emotional creatures, they will
continue to be taken, like rabbits, by the ears. [F.L. Lucas]