world map program

It seems that we don't have any good world map software in Debian.

What I would like to see is a program that has a database of the co-ordinates
of the countries and the names of major cities.  It should of course be
searchable so I could type the name of a country and see it's details.

Also ideally it would have support for a number of databases so it could be
run in a fashion to show how countries changed borders/names/etc over time.

Any ideas of such a program?  If I can find one I'll package it for unstable
ASAP.