Messed up console

I'm having an odd problem:  The text in my consoles is messed up, even
after a reboot.  It looks fine when prompting for username and password,
but once I log in the text becomes a mess of random ASCII characters
which render the console unuseable.

What could cause this, and how can I fix it?  I'm running unstable, but
it started a week ago and recent upgrades haven't fixed it (and I don't
see anyone talking about it here).

--
Thomas J. Hamman
"To the shame of mankind, it is well known that the laws which govern our