Re: Installation Obstacle with X

I gave up and simply re-formatted my hard drive, and
reinstalled a very minimal debian package with no x
window system.

I'm going to print out your post and keep it by my
side when i do go ahead and try to install a window
manager and other x environments.

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide all
the information below.

Mike

--- Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net> wrote:

> I assume you installed xdm.
> I was going to suggest checking that with dpkg but
> if I understand you
> correctly you have no console. Therefore, I would
> try alt+ctrl+F1 in order to
> get to a console. You might have to do it more then
> one time after boot since
> XDM might be persistent then you are, at least for a
> while.
> Now in order to kill it you should issue, as root,
>
>     /etc/init.d/xdm stop
>
> Now am I right when assuming that you have xdm
> installed? In order to find
> that out you can try
>
>  [03:24:53 tmp]$ dpkg -l xdm

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed