Books (was Re: Installed netscape, but how do I start it?)

on Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 11:52:25PM -0400, timo@bolverk.net (timo@bolverk.net) wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 12:10:17PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > I find most of the Norton's, SAMS, "Unleashed", "In 24 Hours", "In 10
> > Days", "Maximum...", "...for Dummies", and "Total Idiots Guide..." books
> > to be poor, though there are the odd exceptions.
> >
> > I tend to recommend O'Reilly, Wiley, Morgan Kaufman, and Addison Wesley.
>
> Having gone through many linux/unix books recently, I would agree with
> the above statement almost 100%.  One notable exception though, and I rarely
> admit owning this in public (this is anonymous, right?) is the "UNIX for
> Dummies Quick Refrence Guide".  It really sits on my desktop, well
> disguised of course, for those times when I just can't remember how to
> format a floppy or something equally silly.  For even the full retail
> price of $14.99 u.s. it's not a bad tool for the newbie's.

Funny thing is that this used to be the pricepoint for the O'Reilly
"Nutshell" books.  Actually, I've got my copy of _UNIX in a Nutshell_
bought in 1995 for $9.95.  Which has, I discover, a capsule summary of
'ar' which is missing from the latest _Linux in a Nutshell_.  Prices
climbed to arount $14 with the next release, they're now about $35.
Witness:  new entrants at the low end of the scale.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org