Re: Maintaining woody/sid mixtures

* Richard Warren (rikiwarren@yahoo.com) [010916 12:44]:
> So, I have two questions.
>
> 1: Why does dselect detect problems that the other
> tools ignore? Can I safely ignore these problems
> myself (I can't find any more conflicts--but dselect
> insists on changing my selections. Should I just use Q
> to override?)

Are these by any chance "recommends: " lines? Or actual "conflicts: "?
dselect treats recommends like depends, but you should still consider
yourself free to use Q to tell it you want to go with your selections,
even if they leave out recommended packages.

> 2: Is this worth my time. I'd like to stick with
> woody, becuse it has (at least partially) been tested.
> But it is sure tempting to just upgrade everyting to
> Sid. I'm worried that, even if I do fix the current
> conflicts. future apt-get upgrades will cause other
> things to break. Should I stick to only one (woody or
> sid) or is it possible to mix and match?

Don't worry that sid is "untested" - there are plenty of people using it
all the time.

> As an unrelated third question, what's the best way to
> upgrade the kernel? I would like to move to a 2.4
> kernel if possible. I thought the dist-upgrade to
> woody would take care of that, but it looks like I've
> still got 2.2.

If you don't need to custom-compile one (which it sounds like is the
case) simply select kernel-image-2.4.9 for installation from dselect,
and follow its guidelines to ensure that you have the proper modutils,
etc.

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.