RE: Maintaining woody/sid mixtures

> So, I have two questions.
>
> 1: Why does dselect detect problems that the other
> tools ignore? Can I safely ignore these problems
> myself (I can't find any more conflicts--but dselect
> insists on changing my selections. Should I just use Q
> to override?)

dselect reads more packaging field than apt-get does (suggests and recommends).
 These extra fields often show hidden problems.

since you are learning it would probably be best to not straddle the fence.
Choose one and go with it.  Sid can be safe as long as you do not apt-get every
day.  Watch the lists and see when things break.

> As an unrelated third question, what's the best way to
> upgrade the kernel? I would like to move to a 2.4
> kernel if possible. I thought the dist-upgrade to
> woody would take care of that, but it looks like I've
> still got 2.2.

Debian does not make a habit of forcing a kernel on you.  Just apt-get (or
dselect choose) one of the 2.4 kernels.