Re: Speeding up GPG

on Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 11:01:09PM +0200, Casper Gielen (casper@huiscomputer.homeip.net) wrote:
> Hi,
> I've set up to use GPG, it seems to work fine. However loading a signed
> message takes annoyingly long, 10 to 20 seconds.

I have a similar complaint, though it's not quite so long.  I have to
wait a second or two for most messages to get a key verified.
Occasionally the delay is longer, I note that this is for keys that have
multiple identifiers.  In my case, processor power may be an issue
(PPro/180), but it seems to be more than that.

WRT the keyserver/download issue, I've had problems when dealing with
keys that aren't publically accessible.  I end to shoot such people a
short note suggesting they post their key to a keyserver, e.g.:

    Please post your GPG key to a public keyserver for automated
    retrieval.  You can do this by adding a 'keyserver' line to
    ~/.gnupg/options (see details in file), e.g.:

	keyserver keys.pgp.com

    You can then submit your key with:

	$ gpg --send-keys <your email address or other key identifier>

    You can also add automated GPG key handling to many mailers, such as
    mutt.

...which may look familiar to some of you ;-)

I am very strongly promoting GPG use, and encourage people to create
keys, export them, and sign their mail.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org