Re: CDROM with device file system.

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 05:02:50PM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
| On Sat, 2001-09-15 at 16:39, Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
| > My ATAPI CDROM drive /dev/hdc is fine,
| > provided the devfsd daemon is not implemented during bootup.
| > If /dev/hdc mounting is attempted AFTER devfsd is called,
| > the mount fails. Insights?
|
| Under devfsd the mount point will be /dev/ide/...
             ^
No, that 'd' shouldn't be there.  devfs and devfsd are two different
things, though related.  With devfsd running, with the default Debian
config, it provides "old dev" compatibility.  That means that the old
name (/dev/hdc) will be valid IFF the drive exists.

I found that the 2.4 kernel packages don't have the cdrom driver
built-in anymore.  You need to add 'ide-cdrom' to /etc/modules.  If
you check the 'drivers' file under /proc/ide you will see whether or
not you have the cdrom driver loaded.

HTH,
-D