Re: Newbie dselect questions

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 04:38:36PM +0900, rikiwarren wrote:

> I'd like to run a woody system with kde 2.2 added from sid. What's the
> proper way to do this? Should I just go ahead and move everything to sid? I
> seem to be having a lot of trouble using dselect, as it often wants to
> delete the kde 2.2 files.

I have the same setup as you do (testing plus mozilla, galeon, kde from
unstable).

My solution to this issue was to create an /etc/apt/preferences file with
the following lines:

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 101

This makes apt install testing packages by default, but if you've got some
unstable packages installed, it won't downgrade them, and will in fact
upgrade them if upgrades are available in testing.  If you'd rather have
them frozen at their current version (until testing is more recent), you
could decrease the 101 to 99.

I am not entirely certain if this is the 'right' way to do it, but it seems
to work from me.  If there are any problems with this, I'd love to hear
from someone who knows better.

Oh, and you'll need both unstable and testing sources in your sources.list.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/