Re: Linux + Digital Cameras

Le sam, 15 sep 2001 15:34:34, Lukas Ruf a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> does anyone have any NEGATIV experience with digital cameras that should
> be
> connected to Linux via a USB interface?
>
> The reason I am asking this question: I would like to buy a Pentax Optio
> Digital Camera.  As usual, the manufacturer state only some infos
> regarding
> Myrcosoft and MacOS -- but nothing for Linux.
>
> I know of friends that successfully make use of a Canon IXUS via USB on
> under Linux.
>
> Is there any risk that the Pentax camera could not work with Linux?
>
> Or, is the USB standardized such that every camera that can be connected
> via USB is also manageable under Linux?

Gphoto and gphoto2 do not support any Pentax camera.

If the camera uses the PTP protocol, jphoto (http://jphoto.sourceforge.net)
could be an answer

A lot of newer cameras support the USB storage filesystem so can be mounted
like any other filesystem under Linux.

It all depends on what protocol the camera talks and what access you have
to the specification of the protocol.

if you can have information on the protocol used by the camera you could
get some help in the gphoto-devel mailing list (see http://www.gphoto.org
for details).

Philippe