Linux + Digital Cameras

Dear all,

does anyone have any NEGATIV experience with digital cameras that should be
connected to Linux via a USB interface?

The reason I am asking this question: I would like to buy a Pentax Optio
Digital Camera.  As usual, the manufacturer state only some infos regarding
Myrcosoft and MacOS -- but nothing for Linux.

I know of friends that successfully make use of a Canon IXUS via USB on
under Linux.

Is there any risk that the Pentax camera could not work with Linux?

Or, is the USB standardized such that every camera that can be connected
via USB is also manageable under Linux?

Thanks for any info!

--
Lukas Ruf                        Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
Office: ETZ-G61.2                             Computer Engineering and