Re: epson stylus 600 setup problem

Hello,

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 03:08:55PM -0700, Dale Morris wrote:
> I'm trying to setup printing in woody using lprng. checkpc -f-V gives
> me the following:ecking 'status.lp' file
>   checking 'status' file
>   checking '/var/log/lp-errs' file
>   checking '/var/log/lp-acct' file
> Warning - lp: cannot open lp device '/dev/lp1' - No such device
>
> Yet when type ls /dev  lp0, lp1, and lp2 are there. I suppose this is a permission problem that is not allowing lp to open /dev/lp1. What is the correct way to install this printer?

I've also got an Epson Stylus printer, but don't use lprng.  Instead I
use cupsys which is quite easy to install if you know about the admin
program on http://localhost:631
You may also want gimp-print (I can't recall if that includes printer
definitions for the Epson Stylus 600).

The other thing to know is that /dev/lp1 is the second printer port
(which most people don't have) so I would guess that /dev/lp0 is the
one you want to use.  However you need to make sure that either
support is compiled into the kernel, or that you've got the module
loaded (/sbin/lsmod to see).  The message you got about "No such
device" actually means that - that there is no device on the other
side of the file.

Tell us how you get on.  Remember to write down every step you take,
and all the pitfalls that you come across.

Hope That Helps,

Wasim.