xinit problem

I'm having trouble getting startx to read my .xinitrc or .xsession
file. I downloaded gdm but then removed it with the --purge option,
but still I can't get startx to read the init file. The way I have to
start the window manager is startx /usr/bin/X11/fvwm & then manually
change background and add apps such as xscreensaver, xbiff, etc.

When I check the file /etc/X11/Xsession it seems properly configured
to allow .xsession in my home directory.
any ideas?

thanks
dale