rdate can't connect socket

     I have the following command in a cron.daily script:
          rdate time.mist.god

     This has worked consistently for a long time, but for the past
week or two it returns:
     rdate: Could not connect socket: Connection refused

     This message returns almost instantly - too quickly, I believe,
to be a connection refused at the remote server.

     Can this be a socket on my machine that refuses a connection?

     I have rdate 1.3-3.

Bob
--
   _