Re: Netgear FA311 driver from Scyld

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 10:12:27PM -0700, Rob Hudson wrote:
> How do I get the kernel to 'see' the natsemi.c file and compile this
> driver into the kernel?

You will need to do some kernel hacking.  Unless you have experience
integrating drivers into the kernel, it is likely to be non-trivial.  It
is possible that the driver is not written in such a way that it can be
integrated into the kernel without modification (i.e. it may be that it
can only be compiled as a module).

Try contacting the author of the driver, Donald Becker.  His address is
on the scyld pages, as well as in the natsemi.c file.  Be sure you tell
him what kernel version you're using.

At the very least, adding the driver to the kernel will involve editing
linux/drivers/net/Config.in.  I'm not sure if there's a way that the
driver hackers auto-generate this file, or if it should be done
manually.  It looks to be manual to me.

HTH,
noah