Re: [TriLUG] Re: Typing umlauts on an english keyboard

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 02:58:50PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 05:28:12PM -0400, Stephen Ball wrote:
> > I just caught hold of this thread so sorry if this fix has been mentioned but
> > has anyone suggested the Multi_Key?  You can setup Xmodmap to configure a key
> > as the multi_key, right now I'm using the righthand tux (windows) key.  What
> > it does is act as a starter key for ascii combinations, for example:
> > multi_key, ", o (typed in sequence) gives an ö (o with an umlat is that
> > doesn't display correctly).  I haven't found a complete list of the multi_key
> > combinations but have found quite a few through trial and error and will be
> > happy to write up what I know if that would help.
> >
> > Here's a copy of my .Xmodmap:
> >
> > keycode 0x74 = Multi_key
> > keycode 0x73 = Escape
> > keycode 0x31 = Escape
> > keycode 0x09 = grave  asciitilde
>
> if you could write that up we'd gladly post it to
> http://newbieDoc.sourceForge.net/ and study the
> heck out of it.  :)

Interesting ... I chose the menu key for my Multi_key :)

  keycode 0x75 =  Multi_key

here are key combinations that I know of:

Multi_key, a, ` ::= à
Multi_key, a, ' ::= á
Multi_key, a, ^ ::= â
Multi_key, a, " ::= ä
Multi_key, a, o ::= å
Multi_key, c, , ::= ç
Multi_key, c, | ::= ¢
Multi_key, e, ` ::= è
Multi_key, e, ' ::= é
Multi_key, e, ^ ::= ê
Multi_key, e, " ::= ë
Multi_key, i, ` ::= ì
Multi_key, i, ' ::= í
Multi_key, i, ^ ::= î
Multi_key, i, " ::= ï
Multi_key, l, - ::= £
Multi_key, n, ~ ::= ñ
Multi_key, o, ` ::= ò
Multi_key, o, ' ::= ó
Multi_key, o, ^ ::= ô
Multi_key, o, " ::= ö
Multi_key, o, / ::= ø
Multi_key, o, x ::= ¤
Multi_key, u, ` ::= ù
Multi_key, u, ' ::= ú
Multi_key, u, ^ ::= û
Multi_key, u, " ::= ü
Multi_key, y, ' ::= ý
Multi_key, y, " ::= ÿ
Multi_key, y, = ::= ¥
Multi_key, ", " ::= ¨
Multi_key, ', ' ::= ´
Multi_key, ?, ? ::= ¿
Multi_key, <, < ::= «
Multi_key, >, > ::= »
Multi_key, +, - ::= ±

Cheers,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.