quake3, i810 sound, and debian unstable

Hello

I am trying to get quake3 working with my sound card.  As it is now, my
soundcard kinda works.  I can play mp3's if they are recorded at 44KHz
and I can also play some games with sound (eg. heroes3).  When I play
games or mp3's which are not recorded at 44KHz, the sound will play
real fast and sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

The quake readme says that it requires a /dev/dsp device and a OSS
compatible sound card.  I have some OSS sound options in my kernel,
and I do have a /dev/dsp device.  If its not possible to get quake3 to
work with sound "card", I would at least like to configure the sound so
that it can play mp3's which are not recorded at 44 KHz.

If I have the sound modules loaded (shown below) when i start
quake, quake will display a message about sound being muted
and then crash when I start and a single player match.  If I
don't load the sound modules below, quake will not display
any sound info when starting and I can play single player matches -
but without sound.

Is this the expected behavior or have I misconfigured something?  Below
is my environmet and settings.

Environment:
	Pentium III
	Linux 2.4.7 kernel
	Debian Unstable - latest update
	MSI motherboard with i810 built-in sound chipset
	lsmod shows:
		Module                  Size  Used by
		i810_audio             13520   0
		mpu401                 18832   0  (unused)
		sound                  56096   0  [mpu401]
		soundcore               4080   4  [i810_audio sound]
		ac97_codec              8608   0  [i810_audio]
	lspci -v shows (snipped to show only multimedia entry)
		00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 2445 (rev 02)
	        Subsystem: Micro-star International Co Ltd: Unknown device 3370
			I/O ports at bc00 [size=256]
			I/O ports at c000 [size=64]
	cat /proc/pci shows (snipped to show only multimedia entry)
	  Bus  0, device  31, function  5:
	      Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA(M) AC'97 Audio (rev 2).
			IRQ 11.
			I/O at 0xbc00 [0xbcff].
			I/O at 0xc000 [0xc03f].

	When I built my kernel, I included as modules these options:
		<M>   Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1370)
		<M>   Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI 97 (ES1371)
		<M>   OSS sound modules
		<M>     Ensoniq SoundScape support
		<M>     100% Sound Blaster compatibles (SB16/32/64, ESS, Jazz16) support
	It doesn't appear that the Ensoniq or soundblaster modules are loading.  I don't
	know if I should use them or not.  Also, lspci and cat /proc/pci gives different
	titles for the sound chipset (the irq and ioport settings are the same though).  I
	don't know if I have the correct modules for this device.  I read that I am supposed
	to use the ES1371 driver.

	John