Re: Bug in crontab? Won't work here

On 10 Sep 2001, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> * Anthony Campbell (a.campbell@doctors.org.uk) spake thusly:
> > I'm using the current testing distribution. Crontab doesn't work for me;
> > at least it won't create a new crontab file, either as user or as root
> > (although it has removed my own crontab!).
> >
> > Is this a known bug or should I submit it?
>
> Obvious question: is your VISUAL (and/or EDITOR) set?
> I'm on testing as well, and crontab -e creates new files just fine, as
> root and as ordinary user.
>
> FWIW, I've seen this happen a couple of times on slowaris, but I never
> bothered to investigate. Just touch /var/spool/cron/crontabs/<user>, and
> then crontab -e will work (or at least it does for me).
>
> Dima
> --
> We're sysadmins. Sanity happens to other people.                   -- Chris King

No, the problem isn't with editing crontab. I can do this and save it,
but when I exit from the editor it says that no changes have been made
to the file so I'm back where I started. The rewritten crontab is saved
to ~/tmp/ but then it just disappears. I know I could edit the file in
/var/spool/cron/crontab/ but you are not supposed to do that.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Debian GNU/Linux (Windows-free zone).
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Human beings are perhaps never more frightening than when they are
convinced beyond doubt that they are right.     [Laurens van der Post]