Network unreachable....

Tried this earlier, but hasn't gone through, so apoloigese if it appears
twice.

---------------

Hi all,

More problems with my first Linux box (something tells me I should have
tried Mandrake to get going).  After getting Perl, PHP, Apache and ProFTPd
running, I thought all was well.  Unfortunately, the network has failed for
no apparent reason.  I realised I couldn't FTP to i, so I tried to ping the
gateway.  This resulted in 'network unreachable', so I looked at ifconfig -
loopback (127.0.0.1) was there, but no eth0.

I checked /etc/network/interfaces which showed eth0 to be correctly setup.
I then ran ifdown followed by ifup.  Again, no change.  I tried a reboot in
vain, but nothing.  Is there something else I can try?  I don't know where
drivers are kept or how to re-install them (what I'd do in an MS OS).  TIA

Andy