Re: GUI in Debian 2.2r3

* Helmut Trinkl (helmut.trinkl@utanet.at) wrote:
> Timeboy wrote:
>
> >On Saturday Sep 08 15:20 debi narge wrote:
> >
> >>** Hi guys,
> >>**
> >>** I recently installed Debian on my computer.  The
> >>** problem is I can't seem to get the GUI to show up.
> >>**
> >>** I'm not even sure if I chose to install the GUI or
> >>** not.
> >>**
> >>** If I didn't install the GUI, is there a way to install
> >>** it without reinstalling the entire OS?
> >
> >Yes you can install a GUI without reinstalling. But first you have
> >to make a decision which GUI you like to install. There are a lot
> >of GUI's. Windowmaker, KDE, Gnome ...........
> >
> >Timo
>
> Windowmaker is a window maker. It's called 'Window Maker' and is an X11
> window manager. It's part of a GUI. You won_t be very lucky to run a
> window manager just by itsself. You won_t be very lucky run a GUI
> without a window manager either. KDE, GNOME and X are GUI's that
> supposedly all use window managers.

Err, you had it right for a while there... the last sentence is a bit
off though.  X is the display layer and windowing system.  It is the
interface with the hardware.  You need a windowmanager if you want a
border around your windows, and the ability to uh, do a lot of things.
KDE and GNOME still use X.  KDE has its own windowmanager, and GNOME
usually uses sawfish.  KDE&GNOME are desktop environments, the idea is
they make everything more comfortable and usable for the user.  They're
not an integral part of the system.