Trouble with Gnome

Hi all,
  I'm running Debian unstable and everything's working good except a
couple small problems.  First, when I right-click on the Gnome desktop,
nothing happens. No menu pops up.  Thus I cannot create shortcuts to
files or programs.

Which leads me to my second problem. I have several shortcuts on my
desktop, but they don't show up.  My desktop comes up completely blank.
There are shortcuts in my ~/.gnome-desktop/ directory, but the don't
show up in the GUI.  Any help would be appreciated.  Please cc me as I
am not subscribed to the list.  Thanks.

Casey