PCMCIA & 2.4.9

Hey Folks,
I've been building my own kernels for quite some time now, but I think I've stumbled onto a doozie.  I've not had these sorts of problems before.
I'm trying to compile PCMCIA into 2.4.9.  I now have PCMCIA 3.1.29, after having tried .27 & .28 to no avail.
The system is an Armada 7800, cardbus, and a 3Com 575ct nic.
I have enabled every PCMCIA choice in the kernel after having started minimally, only those selections which I thought were necessary.
After compile, as per the HOWTO, I built the pcmcia package.
No Joy.
Suggestions?  Is there a problem with the 2.4.9 kernel and PCMCIA?
Peace,
Vale
--
Hail Eris, All Hail Discordia.