Re: Install directly from SID?

on Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 01:06:06AM -0500, frank (frank@subgenius.com) wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > on Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 12:10:29AM -0500, frank (frank@subgenius.com) wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is there any way to install directly from SID? A set of floppy images
> > > which will draw the base system et all from SID eliminating the need to
> > > either upgrading from stable or hand defining your sources when you are
> > > installing from a CD-ROM meant for installing 2.2r3?
> >
> > WTF is SID?
>
> _S_till _I_n _D_evelopment; Woody.

Ah.

Properly 'Sid', from the Toy Story character.  Sid is the 'unstable'
track.  Woody is the 'testing' track, Sid != Woody.

I was assuming you were referring to some sort of new storage device,
I'd invented Storage I* Device, and was walking through the I's filling
in candidates....

There are boot floppies through at least Woody, from what I understand.
Frankly, I'd do a Potato install, change my /etc/apt/sources.list files,
and run 'apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade' to move to a more recent
track.  Your installation distro is largely irrelevant within a few
revs.

Cheers.