Re: network backup advice - windoze

(*please* do *not* cc me on list-mail)

On Sat, 08 Sep 2001 00:43:36 PDT, Alvin Oga writes:
>havent had any problems using linux to backup windoze boxes...

Think disaster recovery, think windos nt: I surely *don´t* want to have
 to re-install the OS, the applications, make 100k settings and then
 restore the data-files. That would take ages.

>( even if they had illegal linux filename chars that is allowed in windows
>
>windoze files names like:
>	"Tom's special excel spread sheet"

That wouldn´t be a problem with dd ;-)

>dd is NOT reliable...if the original disks has a bad block at 12345 on the
>master disk...
>and if the backup disk has a bad block at 24680  than your backup copy
>will be missing some data  at 24680 that was valid on the original disks
>	- yeah..with todays disks... it might not be a problem...
>	but you will find the problem when its not an acceptable backup
>	solution for the one tidbit of data you couldnt afford to lose

Jup, as I said. For data-files that´s feasable, but not for backing up
 the entire system. What I normally do is back up the whole system with
 dd, say, once per month, and the data-files once per week. Besides,
 rebooting is a Good Thing with windos boxen.

Also, don´t forget to keep some older backups, JIC.

cheers,
&rw
--
-- A classic is something that everyone wants
-- to have read and nobody wants to read.