Re: dpkg/debconf complaining

 Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:51:07 -0500
From: Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>
On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 07:32:31PM +0200, Ingvaldur Sigurjonsson wrote:

I'm beginning to have major problems with updating new packages for
testing.

I'm having problem with amongst others man-db. I'm having similar problems

with xserver-xfree86, xserver-common and more.

For troubleshooting purposes I added 'set -x' but It didn't help me very

much. Hope anyone can tell me how to resolve from these problems.

Output from:

Setting up man-db (2.3.19-6) ...
+ '[' configure = configure ']'
+ oldcatdir=/var/catman
+ catdir=/var/cache/man
+ maybesetuid=man mandb
+ conffile=/etc/manpath.config
+ . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
++ '[' '!' '' ']'
++ set -x
++ exec /usr/share/debconf/frontend /var/lib/dpkg/info/man-db.postinst
configure ''
dpkg: error processing man-db (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
man-db

If you could try 'DEBCONF_DEBUG=developer dpkg --configure man-db'
(probably with the 'set -x' removed), that would be helpful.

Following you find the output of the command above.

openpad:~# DEBCONF_DEBUG=developer dpkg --configure man-db
Setting up man-db (2.3.19-6) ...
debconf (developer): frontend started
debconf (developer): frontend running, package name is man-db
debconf (developer): starting /var/lib/dpkg/info/man-db.config configure
debconf (developer): <-- VERSION 2.0
debconf (developer): --> 0 2.0
debconf (developer): <-- INPUT medium man-db/install-setuid
debconf (developer): --> 10 "man-db/install-setuid" doesn't exist
debconf (developer): <-- GO
debconf (developer): --> 0 ok
debconf (developer): <-- GET man-db/install-setuid
debconf (developer): --> 10 man-db/install-setuid doesn't exist
dpkg: error processing man-db (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
 man-db

> I don't *think* it's a problem with man-db, but you never know ... what
> version of debconf do you have installed?

openpad:~# openpad:~# dpkg -l debconf
||/ Name                Version             Description
+++-===================-===================-======================================================
ii debconf 1.0.00 Debian configuration management system

I dont know if I should have an install-setuid script, but I dont seem to have one. I have the following:

openpad:~# install
install install-fvwmgenmenu.sh install-mbr installkernel
install-docs            install-info            install-menu
install-fvwmgenmenu     install-keymap          install-sgmlcatalog

I saw your correnspondance, which I found when searching on Google for +man-db +install-setuid

I appreciate your effort.

-- Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

Regards
- Ingi