Re: lilo and text modes

on Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 02:19:51PM -0700, Craig Dickson (crdic@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > Adam McDaniel (adamm@psynch.com) wrote:
> > > Hi, a problem with lilo has been plaguing me for a while and
> > > I'm wondering if anyone else here has any experience with it.
> > >
> > > I've compiled in 'Video Mode Selection Support' into my 2.4.9
> > > kernel and everything is alright. Under my lilo.conf file i
> > > have it set to vga=ask. Upon boot up, I am presented with a
> > > list of possible video modes, with the option to 'scan' for
> > > more.
> > >
> > > When i do scan, I find one which I would like to make permanent,
> > > 130x44 0x0133. The problem is that if i set lilo reflect
> > > vga=0133 and reboot, it fails saying that mode is inactive.
> >
> > The values should be in the range of, say, 1-6 or thereabouts.
>
> I think you're missing his point. I also have this problem. I have a
> spare machine, an old Pentium 90, on which I have set up Linux without
> X, and so I want to have a good text mode on the console. If I tell
> LILO to scan for modes, it finds a nice 100x30 mode with the ID 9.
> But if I configure LILO to use mode 9, it complains that the number
> is invalid. If I then tell it to scan, it finds mode 9 and will allow
> me to manually select it. But that's a pain. Why can't it just scan
> automatically when the desired mode isn't one of the standard ones?
> I think that's what Adam is asking for. Is there a way to do this, or
> is LILO just plain stupid in this regard?

I haven't experienced this problem.  Not saying it doesn't exist, saying
I haven't seen it.

My general experience is that I'll set vga=ask, look at the available
modes, add the one that renders best, and forget about it.

Other options include running SVGATextMode (old) or framebuffer (new),
either of which are far more flexible than vga modes (more options, can
be modified after boot time).