Re: network backup advice

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Alvin Oga wrote:

> 	backup server should export the host directory to each host

I'm not too sure about this, because if I manage to compromise the machien
being backed up, I can remove your backups on the host server.
I ended up setting up a central backup server, that pulls a locally
generated backup off the machine, using scp.  Instead of pushing the
backup up to the server.  More disk space required, but works.  I modified
 a script from Joey Hess to handle making compressed backups using tar in
650 meg chunks.  (Easy to burn to cd and use to restore with)

> -- backups for Win98 can be done similarly...
> 	- need to have samba installed on the linux box...
> 	and test that you can see the windoze shares
> 	- backup the windoze boxes from the backupserver itself

smbtar is really nice for this.  Keep in mind you may have 2gb limits to
deal with.  I have up to 15 machines being backed up to a central server.
I keep at least 7 days of full backups from each machine.
I use:

smbtar -s server -x share -p password -t filename.tar

or

smbtar -s server -x share -p password -t - | gzip -1 > filename.tar.gz

for compression.

Then once i have snagged all the local .tar or .gz's, they get written to
an unreliable HP 14 gb Travan drive.  In other words, don't bother with the
HP travan's, they're horrible :)  Slowly working on getting them replaced
with 20/40 HP Dat drives.

> -- you can also do the same to write to tape instead of a backup file..
> 	- use a "-tape" option in the backup script

Always have some kind of offline backups.  Like i said before, if someone
compromises your systems, and manages to compromise your backup server
and that was your only copy...

Someone can be a person, or a fire/earthquake/etc.

Mike