Re: network backup advice

hi ya brad

-- many hundred/thousands of ways to do backup...

-- i implement something similar to your stuff..
	BackupServer:/Backup/HOST/Month/day.tgz
	( one of 3 place where all backup files are stored )

	backup server should export the host directory to each host

-- you should keep backups on ( 3 ) different servers...
	- daily incrementals....
	- weekly 8 day incrementals
	- full weekly backups... ( or monthly..

-- backups should run locally on each PC to copy off
   "root protected files"

-- backups for Win98 can be done similarly...
	- need to have samba installed on the linux box...
	and test that you can see the windoze shares
	- backup the windoze boxes from the backupserver itself

-- you can also do the same to write to tape instead of a backup file..
	- use a "-tape" option in the backup script

have fun
alvin
http://www.Linux-Backup.net

in cron....
	# daily
	1 01 * * * /path/Backup.pl

	# weekly
	1 01 * * 6 /path/Backup.pl -inc32 -dir /Backup.WEEKLY

	# weekly full
	1 02 * * 0 /usr/scripts/Backup.pl -Full -dir /Backup.FULL

the ( 3-line ) backup script itself... many different flavors...
but basically, its all you need:
	- script check for the right options... and perform the
	corresponding backup

daily backups would:
  mount BackupServer:/path/HOST /Backup
  tar zcvf /Backup/$YearMonth/$Date.tgz ` find /etc /home -mtime -1 -print`
  umount /Backup

weekly backups would:
  mount BackupWEEKLY:/path/HOST /Backup.W
  tar zcvf /Backup.W/$YearMonth/$Date.tgz ` find /etc /home -mtime -8 -print`
  umount /Backup.W

weekly full backups would:
  mount BackupFULL:/path/HOST /Backup.FULL
  tar zcvf /Backup.FULL/$YearMonth/$Date.FULL.tgz /etc /home
  umount /Backup.Full

--
-- more complicated than a 3 line script... if ya wanna get more done...