Sources for apt-get sources.list

I'm running Woody and I'm confused about what sources to list for apt-get.
When I look at the ftp sites I see directories for Potato and Stable.  I
thought Potato was Stable.  Also I see Woody as well as Unstable AND
Testing.  I'm not sure what status Woody is in just now.

Questions:
Am I seeing generic names (Stable) as well as distribution names (Potato)
and getting them confused?  Or is there a difference between them?

I'm running Woody for a project I'm involved with.  Should I be updating my
system from Stable, Unstable, Testing, or Woody if I'm fairly new to Linux
and not interested (or competent) to assist in bug hunting.

Thanks,

John Purser