Re: From RH to Debian: two pending problems.

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 11:19:10AM +0700, Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim wrote:
| Hello:
|
| I have switched from RH to Debian recently (for my desktop).
| Unfortunately, I still have two pending problems which
| I had taken for granted while I was using RH:

Do you still have copy of your config files from RH?
/etc/modules.conf and /etc/modules would be quite useful here :-).

| - turning on the sound

What sort of sound card do you have?  You need to know what chipset it
is based on so that you can load the proper modules into the kernel.
You may also need to specify some options such as IO address and DMA
channel.

If you still have /etc/modules.conf from RH then this information will
be in there.  See 'man update-modules' for information on how to add
that info to a Debian system.

| - turning on the printer printer (my beloved ole' BJC-210SP)

The first thing you need is to be sure the parallel port is enabled.
Type '/sbin/lsmod | egrep "par|lp"' and see if you have the parport,
parport_pc, and lp modules loaded.  If so then you are all set with
the kernel setup and you just need to pick and configure a print
spooler for it.  If you don't have those modules then you can add them
to /etc/modules and they will be loaded automatically the next time
you boot.  For now you can use modprobe to load them so you don't need
to reboot yet.

For a print spooler I like CUPS.  I don't know if a "driver" (PPD
file) is available for it or not, but there are some sites that
provide a lot of these drivers and they may have yours.

RH used LPRng and magicfilter in their recent releases, but I don't
know how to configure it without printtool doing all the dirty work.

HTH,
-D