Re: give me "fish" & you feed me for a day..teach me 2 fish & u feed me 4ver!

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 11:16:03PM +0000, jdls@gmx.net wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Some questions;
>
> 1. is there a resource out there somewhere that can clearly explain "ld" and
> "ld" related problems and how to fix them? I sometimes build from source and
> most of the time I get stuck with "ld" related problems and I have to bother
> a lot of people on how to resolve it instead of resolving it myself...

"ld" does the linking part of the compilation process.  It resolves the
external references to bits of code in libraries that are used in the
code being compiled.  Looks like you don't have the libperl-dev package
installed ("can't find -lperl" -- where -l<something> means "link to
this library"... and -L<some path> means "search for libraries here in
addition to the "usual" places [/lib/ /usr/lib]).

The "./configure" script *should* catch this.  But they aren't always
written as well as they could be.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>