Re: OT: tail -f | while read

>>>>> "Martin" == Martin F Krafft <madduck@madduck.net> writes:

 Martin> also sprach Joseph Dane (on Thu, 06 Sep 2001 01:26:37PM
 Martin> -1000):
 >> why not just use xargs?
 >>
 >> find . -name \*.c | xargs wc -l
 >>
 >> I think you can pass '-n 1' to xargs to cause it to execute the
 >> command a separate time for each argument.

 Martin> no: xargs(1) --max-args=max-args, -n max-args Use at most
 Martin> max-args arguments per command line.  Fewer than max-args
 Martin> arguments will be used if the size (see the -s option) is
 Martin> exceeded, unless the -x option is given, in which case xargs
 Martin> will exit.

right.  meaning that if you specify '-n 1', then at most one argument
will be used for each invocation.  is that not what I said?

--

joe