Re: Mounting a disk using backup superblock [was: Re: My superblock has been destroyed - please help!]

(Stephan.Hachinger@gmx.de) wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Below you see a copy of the last thread I'm referring to. My HDD and
>> especially the superblock no.1 is heavily demaged - but I now have
managed
>> to e2fsck the partition using the backup superblock number 32768. Debugfs
>> /dev/hda2 can also show me the contents of the partition, but "mount -t
>> ext2 -o sb=32768 /dev/hda2 /mnt" just won't mount it and says "bad magic
>> number" etc. Can anyone please tell me what I'm missing? Does mount
>> calculate the superblock offset in another way or should I give up or???
>> need this data desperately as I mentioned. If anyone can help me, thanks
>> thousand times in advance.
>
>Can't help you on disk forensics, but I *strongly* recommend you image
>the disk to known good media before you tweak with it.  Your debug tools
>should work on the disk image equally as with the physical disk, with
>the added bonus that it's not likely to go bad (or worse).

Hmm, if I'd only have a HDD to save the data, I would be happy :) ; then I
could probably do dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/xyz and e2fsck -
b 32768 /dev/xyz, e2fsck would restore the first superblock and my problems
were gone... but I have no second hard disk which is that big :(.

Cheers and thanks anyway,

Stephan