Mounting a disk using backup superblock [was: Re: My superblock has been destroyed - please help!]

Hello!

Below you see a copy of the last thread I'm referring to. My HDD and
especially the superblock no.1 is heavily demaged - but I now have managed
to e2fsck the partition using the backup superblock number 32768. Debugfs
/dev/hda2 can also show me the contents of the partition, but "mount -t
ext2 -o sb=32768 /dev/hda2 /mnt" just won't mount it and says "bad magic
number" etc. Can anyone please tell me what I'm missing? Does mount
calculate the superblock offset in another way or should I give up or??? I
need this data desperately as I mentioned. If anyone can help me, thanks
thousand times in advance.

Cheers,

Stephan

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:33:51 -0400
> ajlewis2@intac.com wrote:
>
> > In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > Hmm, the subject says almost everything... my almost new (!) IBM hard
disk
> > > suddenly had some bad sectors and one was the superblock of my
>>> linux partition. So, I cannot boot into linux any more, and if I try to
>>> e2fsck the partition, e2fsck doesn't find the superblock. (...snip...)
>>> I just desperately want to rescue my data before I send the drive
>>> back to IBM or so because they will probably send me a new
>>> HDD but not my old data, and of course I have not
> > > made backups, stupid me. The partition is /dev/hda2 and about 7.7
>>> GB
(snip)