OT: a good laptop

my brother is looking for a nice laptop, multimedia capable, light, in
short: good. he will probably not run debian on it (although the last
word has not been spoken here), but i figure i ask here anyway,
because if a laptop runs debian just fine, it is a proper one.

so we are looking for some P3 >= 800 (or comparable processor) with
256Mb of RAM, >= 10Gb of HDD, DVD-ROM, >= 14.1 TFT screen, builtin
Modem (only if *not* WinModem), builtin 10/100 ethernet (not necessary
as there is PCMCIA), >= 8Mb SVGA, good sound, and a floppy disk drive.

do you know of a good one with these specs? i am always tending
towards Dell because that's what i use (latitude cpi-a) and it has
never let me down - plus the service (3 year on-site next day
international for $300 or so) is excellent. *but*, the newer latitudes
and inspirons seem to be getting disgusting as Michael Dell and Bill
Gates continue to increase the intensity of their love affair. so the
other alternative is Sony, the VAIO's being awesome... but does all of
its hardware run with Debian? i don't want my brother to end up with a
proprietary windoze system even if he runs windoze just because
drivers and all that are a bitch (aren't they anyway?). other than
that i don't know brands that well.

any input appreciated. if possible, please CC tombo@madduck.net.

thanks,
"i'm always frank and earnest with women.
 uh, in new york i'm frank, and in chicago i'm ernest."
                                            -- the long kiss goodnight