Re: is exim the cause for this?

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 12:27:10AM +0200, Timeboy wrote:
> On 2001.09.05 22:55 J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
> > Yes. The mail transfer agent used to deliver mail to one of the
> > subscribers of debian-user is buggy; it is sending error messages to
> > people who send mail to debian-user rather than to the adres
> > specified by Debian's mailing list software for such messages.
>
> How can this be possible?

Various people run broken software.

> Hmmmm... Sometimes i have no time for the debian user list for two or
> three weeks. Two times it happens that my mailbox also was full. In
> this case will then happen the same?

It's unlikely, unless your ISP has misconfigured their mail systems.
Normally the bounces go to an automatic system which will unsubscribe
you if it receives enough of them.

> If yes the MTA of debian user list should be make possible to send
> those error messages not to all subscribers.

The MTA on lists.debian.org is not involved with the messages we're all
getting, and can do nothing about them.

> Or to a place only for listmaster, so he can delete those subscribers
> if their mailboxes are full for a very long time.

That's exactly what the lists are set up to do, but unfortunately some
systems are set up badly and ignore these instructions. (Mailers should
always send error messages to the return-path address, not the address
in the message's From: line.)

Cheers,