Re: libxml2

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Hereward Cooper wrote:
>
> > But once I installed the -dev via apt-get, "dpkg -l *xml2*"
> > _did_ list the file.
> >

> Sorry I didn't make that clear did I?  dpkg -l only accepts *installed*
> package names.

Yep. You can't use dpkg as a tool to search through available
packages. dpkg generally only operates on what is already installed or
on a *.deb file you want to install.

If you want more generality you'll need to go to apt and it's
relatives. In particular "apt-cache search xml2" would have shown you
what you wanted to see, eg.,:

        % apt-cache search xml2
        docbk-xml2x - Perl scripts to convert DocBk XML documents into troff and Texinfo
        docbook2x-doc - HTML docmentation of the docbook2x packages
        libxml++0 - A C++ interface to the GNOME XML library (libxml2)
        libxml++0-dev - A C++ interface to the GNOME XML library (libxml2)
        libxml-libxml-perl - Perl module for using the Gnome libxml2 library
        libxml2 - GNOME XML library
---->   libxml2-dev - Development files for the GNOME XML library
        php4-domxml - XMLv2 module for php4
        xml2 - Convert between XML, HTML, CSV and a line-oriented format

Gary