Re: Help installing Debian 2.2r3 (formerly 2.2r17 - brain misfire)

On 2001.09.05 15:39 "LaGuardia, Kristofer S." wrote:
> Okay, I didn't install LILO to the MBR.  I did install it to the boot
> partition.  However, nothing came up at boot time.  Oh well, i will try
> again tonight...maybe I'm just missing something.  Where would I find cd
> images of "Woody"?  I am willing to give it a whirl.  If I can't find the
> images I might have to go back to Mandrake...shudder...

Hey!

Don't give up. Debian is a little bit harder to use for newbies, then
Mandrake or somthimg like else. But the best Linux i ever used.

How i remember you have your Windows on a FAT32 partition? You can put
LILO into your MBR. And if you take my suggestion (Linux on the first
HD), there are no problems if you install LILO into MBR of this Linux
drive.

I don't know whether there is a CD image for Woody. But do you have a
CD set from Potato? Then install first Potato. Best only the base
packages and that was is needed to get an connection to the internet.
Using the tool dselect is very good to get an easy upgrade to Woody.
And then you can install the other packages are needed of you.

There is nothing while booting your new Debian Linux? Do you remember
my words that the BIOS only can boot from you first hard disk? If
Debian is on another disk you have to set your other disks to "none"
in your BIOS. Then you should be able to boot from your Linux drive.
After you have configured your LILO correct, you can put your other
drives again into the BIOS.

Timo